COVID Discipleship

MORAL OBLIGATION? CIVIC DUTY? NEITHER . . . I’M A CHRISTIAN!

by Megan Burdolski, Director of Stewardship

I’d be lying if I said that I’m enjoying life amidst the pandemic. I’m not. I doubt that very many people are. I was disappointed that my youngest child didn’t get a “normal” high school senior experience – prom, honors night, graduation. I am heartbroken for my cousin’s wife who did not get to celebrate her 85th birthday with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren because she lives in a senior living center that does not allow visitors in nor her to leave. I am sad for those who’ve had to delay weddings or funerals or other celebrations because they cannot hold them in the fashion they intended.

But I’m also a rule follower. I wouldn’t have wanted those things to happen in any way that could promote the spread of Covid-19. I am a mask wearer – I’ve been hyper-vigilant about doing so. I even put my mask on (alone in my car) when I’m picking up my curbside Target order or restaurant meal. And I’ll readily admit to being one of the most vocal members of our parish staff about making sure we are following protocols for cleaning, doing our best to maintain social distancing in our offices and encouraging our parishioners to do the same at Mass.

So, it should come as no surprise to anyone reading this that I followed the rules last Friday when I learned about a possible exposure to Covid-19 by a member of my own household. In a family group message around 11:30 am on June 26, I learned that some family members (who do not reside in our home and with whom I had not had contact) tested positive for Covid-19. It took me less than a minute to remember that one of my own children had had dinner with cousins in the virus-positive household ten days earlier so had possibly been exposed. First, I notified my child (who was at work at the time) that the possible exposure needed to be reported, to leave work and head home. I then reported this to my co-workers, packed up my laptop as well as some items I’d need from my office to work from home while I quarantined and headed home myself.

My child decided to get tested that day and, fortunately, my quarantine was short-lived as the test results came back negative yesterday. A friend asked me why I requested my child report the possible exposure and leave work when exposure had not yet been confirmed (those family members at the dinner didn't receive their positive results until Sunday.) And why I did the same. Was it a sense of moral obligation? Or civic duty? Or because I’m a rule follower?  

While any of these answers could be correct, I think it’s more likely because of the Christian values that have been a part of my being since childhood. I love my neighbors - my co-workers, our parishioners, my friends - as Jesus taught. And that love requires that I do whatever I can to protect everyone from harm. If we had received positive results in our household, Visitation parishioners would have received an email on Monday afternoon notifying them of those results and I would have also contacted anyone with whom my family had had contact.

Would I act as quickly if this situation were to happen again? Absolutely! When this situation happens again, and I’m not naïve enough to think it won’t before this is all over, I’ll get the “heck out of Dodge” and head back to my house to quarantine. It is my prayer that everyone reading this would do the same. Isn’t that what Jesus would ask His disciples to do?

P.S. Our four Covid-positive family members are all on the mend after each experiencing a variety of symptoms over the past 10 days. I would appreciate your prayers for their continued recovery!


Pandemic Prayers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Visitation - January 9, 2022

O Little Town of Bethlehem

Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene