Reflection on Racism

I Have Your Back

by Karen Miller, Pastoral Associate

I watched the video of George Floyd’s murder. I watched the video of Amy Cooper falsely accusing a black man of assault. I watched the video of Ahmaud Arbery jogging through a neighborhood and being chased and shot. I watched the videos, and on all accounts, I was sickened and stunned. I thought of my “family” member, Darryl, whose skin is as black as night. This man that my family considers our own, who would always have my back, our back, in any situation. This man who was never willing to take a bus to our house because, as he said, “walking up your street would cause the neighbors to worry.”  

After years of accepting his statement without question or challenge, I realize now I need to take a closer look at my heart and my actions. This time, I feel like I cannot ignore “it,” meaning the conviction I feel for my past apathy. Phrases like, “I don’t see color” or “I am not racist” have rolled off my tongue. I did not understand how not seeing color was not helpful, but now I do. By choosing not to see, I miss the chance to understand the racial issues at hand and I owe it to Darryl and to everyone like him to try to understand. A graphic that was created by a woman named Danielle Cook shared 5 dangers to the “I don’t see color mentality”:

1.        It limits the ability to appreciate individualism.

2.        It minimizes the struggles of POC (people of color) in today’s society.

3.       You can’t fix something you can’t see.

4.       You’re not actually dismantling your own prejudices.

5.       You ignore the complexity of racial issues.

The “I am not a racist” mentally is also dangerous because it allows me to sit comfortably in my space of privilege and by doing this I am essentially giving myself a “pass.” Instead, I want to work, learn and grow in my understanding of the oppressed and marginalized. I want to be anti-racist. Anti-racism is standing up against policies that allow the status quo, where practices and organizational structures continue, to discriminate. Being the strength for the weak and the voice for the unheard and the fight for the weary is simply what Jesus requires of us.

There is so much to learn. I want to hear the individual stories of those harmed by racism so I can respond with love and action. I want to stay engaged and work for equality and awareness. I want to be able to look at Darryl and tell him, “I have your back.”

The blessing for me is that I am part of this wonderful Visitation community that cares. A community that will continue to challenge each other and hold each other accountable. Here is a glimpse at how our parish has responded to this moment so far. A few weeks ago on a Sunday, a handful of parishioners met on the plaza to pick up trash during the protests. We knew it would not “fix” anything but being present, accompanying, felt important. The following Thursday night, a group met at Visitation. Some prayed the rosary for peace at the fountain at Vis; some walked to the plaza to pray together and then to listen and be present for the hurting there. Last Friday evening, Juneteenth, hundreds of men, women and children of every race stood on the east side of Troost. There were many Visitation faces in the crowd. Together we prayed for our world, our nation and our city that at this moment we may be changed for the good and that justice and peace may come for all. As cars drove by with horns honking and people waving or filming, it was emotional. As I closed my eyes to pray that night on Troost, I felt God’s presence, and when I looked around, I realized that with Him, together, we can help create a world where we see and celebrate the brown, black, white tones in our skin and where anti-racism is a practice we all work hard to perfect.


Portal to Prayer

Take some time to reflect on racism by praying this Examen for Racism.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE (First Week of Advent)

Serving Others During the Pandemic

O Little Town of Bethlehem