The Art of Active Listening

An Attitude of the Heart
by Megan Burdolski, Director of Stewardship

“Listening is an attitude of the heart, a genuine desire to be with another which both attracts and heals.”  - L. J. Isham

Listening well is a talent that not all of us possess. I think about those people I’ve known in my life that have perfected the art of listening and I am genuinely inspired by the way in which they make someone feel heard . . . important . . . relevant . . . loved.

Listening takes practice. I know that I am a better listener now than I was thirty years ago but I am still not as accomplished in this skill as I’d like to be. Listening requires attentiveness, patience, empathy and a willingness understand, among other things. Jesus was a wonderful listener, an active listener. I found this acrostic of the word LISTEN online describing some of the key elements of active listening as modeled by Jesus:

L – Love – Jesus listened without prejudice. Love must form the way we listen.
I – Inquire – Jesus often asked people questions which is the sign of someone truly listening.
S – Stop – Jesus took time to stop and listen even when he was on his way somewhere.
T – Test – Jesus was patient to test the waters waiting for a person’s readiness to speak.
E – Engage – Jesus stayed in the moment, attentive to the person with whom he was speaking.
N – Nudge – Jesus knew the value of listening and nudged others to also listen.

(Source: Ministry Tools Resource Center)

As stewards and disciples of Jesus, we must strive to be better listeners. We need to really hear what others are saying to us in order to respond in a way that illustrates our care and concern. Today, more than ever, voices need to be heard and we need to hear them.

Just this week, I have heard a wide array of thoughts and opinions about the Covid-19 pandemic, racial tensions in our country and every other concern facing our society from family and friends in my circle. I believe that if we identify as followers of Jesus, what is most important is that we truly hear what others are saying. We should endeavor to respond in a way that will not embarrass, disregard or show hatred toward another human being. In times like these, it is most critical that we really listen to others and strive to understand their point of view.

In James 1:19, we read “Know this, my dear brothers: everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath . . .” These words will help me remember the active listener that Jesus was and that I desire to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE (First Week of Advent)

Serving Others During the Pandemic

A Little Visitation - January 9, 2022